The day is here when college football fans can breathe a sigh of relief with the start of the 2016 season.
Lets take a look at the tradition of tailgating as it means big business for grillers and demographically, the sheer numbers who attend.
– survey methods vary, but one estimate showed as high as 20 million college football fans tailgating.
– In 2015, 50 million people attended college football games. 20% tailgate before each game.
– 10% of tailgaters who don’t end up going to the game, according to 2003 research by the University of South Carolina.
– Tailgaters are 14 times more likely to have a blood-alcohol content greater than .08 after games than spectators who don’t tailgate first.
– 63% of grill owners who listed burgers as their favorite food for tailgating.
H/T CNN for some of the data in this post